Not Cool Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well this may be a bit odd.

4 posters

Go down

Well this may be a bit odd.  Empty Well this may be a bit odd.

Post  hootbot Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:44 pm

This name brings back many old memories, memories that have gotten foggier with time. A ghost of the internet.

For I was once a member of The Not Cool Club, the shitty little web-board that defined my teen years. I seem to recall a lot of angst and black clothing.

I don't remember when it went down, but one day it ceased to exist.

Quite awhile later a found the site Greg from Sault Ste. Marie made, but I never joined. I was just happy knowing that these people from my e-past still existed and had lives.

And here I am.

Ps: The site must have still been up in 07 because I recall reading about the death of Kurt Vonnegut on the main board. The girl who posted about Vonnegut was named Natascha. Smile Now I feel like a misty eyed old man.
hootbot
hootbot

Back to top Go down

Well this may be a bit odd.  Empty Re: Well this may be a bit odd.

Post  PirateRoisin Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:33 am

Welcome! Perhaps you would like to introduce yourself a little more fully, with perhaps a real or username? Smile
PirateRoisin
PirateRoisin
Admin
Admin

https://thencc.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:27 am

Blasphemy! the checkerboards were magical. But yeah there were hundreds of registered users and maybe only 30 who posted regularly. I found it pretty interesting, though. it was neat how the profile and journal was kindof secluded for us shy kids and we could come out and join conversations if up for it... also i think the 3 board layout worked well. until people lost time for ncc and got real lives. Sad but then greg's version came along and it was more mature. sadly, many people got bored with that too i guess

Back to top Go down

Post  natascha Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Hey, that's me! Who were you?
natascha
natascha

Back to top Go down

Post  hootbot Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:24 pm

PirateRoisin wrote:Welcome! Perhaps you would like to introduce yourself a little more fully, with perhaps a real or username? Smile

Ah, now this is why I never joined the new site, and had mixed feelings about joining yesterday. Perhaps if it hadn't been so late at night I wouldn't have.

My name is Marshall! Which is a bit old-fashioned, my username on the NCC was likely some combination of the word "gazpacho" I can't exactly recall it. Why? I never posted that much, I'm a shy individual and I was even worse back then! So It's unlikely anyone would even remember me, it's kind of a regret of mine. So many interesting people from all over the world and I mostly just lurked. I remember talking to a few people in the Psycho-duck forum like Leaper-friend and Hecate. But I kind of blew it, I guess.

I do remember you though. Nice to meet you? Razz
hootbot
hootbot

Back to top Go down

Post  hootbot Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:28 pm

Haleyhayhay wrote:Blasphemy! the checkerboards were magical. But yeah there were hundreds of registered users and maybe only 30 who posted regularly. I found it pretty interesting, though. it was neat how the profile and journal was kindof secluded for us shy kids and we could come out and join conversations if up for it... also i think the 3 board layout worked well. until people lost time for ncc and got real lives. Sad but then greg's version came along and it was more mature. sadly, many people got bored with that too i guess

Blue checker boards then green then grey. haha

Shy is a good description, why be shy on the internet right? I still managed it though. It's always been a weird mystery to me what happened to it. I remember reading about the mods getting together or something. I've always been curious about why it was made and why it never came back.
hootbot
hootbot

Back to top Go down

Post  hootbot Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:41 pm

natascha wrote:Hey, that's me! Who were you?

That's why I joined, I was like, hey, I remember that person! We liked the same author! (this excited my teenage anti-social brain at the time)

Let's proceed to very rarely talk to people on the forum and just generally fail at friendship. Still, despite my ineptitude I was definitely influenced by various members. I did actually talk to you a couple times I think, I found that the ideas and interests you had as well as others on the ncc were "right up my alley" and not something people in my small town talked about. It opened my brain, I suppose.

I think my username was gazapacho or something, I can't remember it exactly. I often just lurked haha.

I guess I decided I should talk to these interesting people now instead of never? This is just starting to make me depressed. Razz
hootbot
hootbot

Back to top Go down

Post  PirateRoisin Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:51 pm

Welcome to the site! We are generally lovely people, so don't worry about posting or anything.

As for the other sites, I fear that it was mostly due to admins not having enough time to maintain them.
PirateRoisin
PirateRoisin
Admin
Admin

https://thencc.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  natascha Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:54 pm

hootbot wrote:

That's why I joined, I was like, hey, I remember that person! We liked the same author! (this excited my teenage anti-social brain at the time)

Let's proceed to very rarely talk to people on the forum and just generally fail at friendship. Still, despite my ineptitude I was definitely influenced by various members. I did actually talk to you a couple times I think, I found that the ideas and interests you had as well as others on the ncc were "right up my alley" and not something people in my small town talked about. It opened my brain, I suppose.

I think my username was gazapacho or something, I can't remember it exactly. I often just lurked haha.

I guess I decided I should talk to these interesting people now instead of never? This is just starting to make me depressed. Razz

I do recognize a name of that sort, and maybe we did talk; I wasn't terribly social with other NCC members off the actual site (l felt like IMing was too much pressure). I like the way you talk now, so I wouldn't doubt that we've hit it off (a bit) in the past. And you mentioned Leper Friend and Hecate in your other replies; Leper is a good friend of mine in the big, wide real world.

Don't hesitate to blurt out whatever here! Just because the interactions are sparse doesn't mean that we're bad a socializing. I mean, even if we are, I'm comfortable with it and would only strive to be more social; there's no pressure.

Are you still in your small town?
natascha
natascha

Back to top Go down

Post  Emmaz Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:39 am

Welcome! And nice to meet to meet you. I was Black Arts on the old Ncc. Joy of the life of a teenager. We like to rant here a lot!
Emmaz
Emmaz

Back to top Go down

Post  hootbot Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:30 pm

natascha wrote:
hootbot wrote:

I do recognize a name of that sort, and maybe we did talk; I wasn't terribly social with other NCC members off the actual site (l felt like IMing was too much pressure). I like the way you talk now, so I wouldn't doubt that we've hit it off (a bit) in the past. And you mentioned Leper Friend and Hecate in your other replies; Leper is a good friend of mine in the big, wide real world.

Don't hesitate to blurt out whatever here! Just because the interactions are sparse doesn't mean that we're bad a socializing. I mean, even if we are, I'm comfortable with it and would only strive to be more social; there's no pressure.

Are you still in your small town?

Apparently I forgot about this for 4 months, that's unfortunate. I moved away from where I grew up in 2010, went to a technical school, and became a heavy duty mechanic. I live in the largest city in my province now. Leaper was a cool guy, he got me interested in philosophy. He also liked Klaus Nomi, which was unusual. I did and have lots of intellectual interests, but I went in to a "field" not usually associated with that type of person. I fix buses and heavy trucks, but stick out like a sore thumb because I have a tendency to talk like a professor of latin history (co-workers words, not mine.) Oh well. This might not be interesting to anyone but it certainly seemed to interest the Jehova's Witness who came to my door the other day.

Anyway, you seemed and seem like a neat person, I recall you lived in New York, a city I like very much. I was there just recently.
hootbot
hootbot

Back to top Go down

Post  hootbot Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:31 pm

PirateRoisin wrote:Welcome to the site! We are generally lovely people, so don't worry about posting or anything.

As for the other sites, I fear that it was mostly due to admins not having enough time to maintain them.

Well this site seems to be quite low maintenance. haha
hootbot
hootbot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum