Not Cool Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rights vs. "Rights"

Go down

Rights vs. "Rights" Empty Rights vs. "Rights"

Post  natascha Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:58 am

So, I'm going to use this space to sort of talk through a trend I've noticed in today's common discourse about social issues. This is based on observation; I'm the kind of person that hangs back and makes up my own mind on issues and I root my views on (my version of) common sense.

Importantly: I don't follow or seek out media/blogs/writers that would only serve to reinforce what I already think. Lots of people do that for whatever reason; I do not. I will say that I think it does nothing for critical thinking to do that. That is just my opinion. Keep in mind that I stay well-informed on most issues, but only on the facts; I like my info with as little bias and opinion as possible. Based on what I know about our community, I'm probably in the minority in being this way. I mention this so that whoever reads this knows where I'm coming from.

So: when it comes to societal issues and inequities, I think people get confused as to what they're actually entitled to as human beings. There is no doubt that we are entitled to our humanness; that we should be given respect from other humans because we are human. But, I feel like things get to blurry when it comes to what people feel dehumanizes them. I also feel like people, especially Internet people, don't really understand what it means to be dehumanized. A conservative thinker (I mean literally, not politically) might say that whatever makes a given individual feel dehumanized is good enough criteria to make that feeling valid. I disagree.

I feel like people might be taking critique about a certain aspect of their lives (about their body, sexuality, identity, political philosophy) and take that as a shot at their humanity. Part of that problem is tying so much of your humanity to an aspect of yourself that is so susceptible to evolution over the lifespan. Not only does this create a point of contention where it ought not exist, it pigeon-holes something that should be free to change.

I know that some rights are rights. The rights of marriage for everyone, for example. But I feel like people equate their personal struggles with being liked by everyone in society with their rights being violated.

This is a smattering of thoughts. Feel free to disagree because I know I can't be the only one to notice this to some degree.
natascha
natascha

Back to top Go down

Rights vs. "Rights" Empty Re: Rights vs. "Rights"

Post  Guest Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:07 pm

I think sometimes people just get sensitive and don't know how to discern if someone is harassing them or not.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:41 am

So I still don't entirely see where you're coming from but I do have a few things to throw into the stew. (I do understand your distaste for bias.)

I see the words "rights" thrown around in arguments on the internet. It's usually because someone's offended. Often, I think because they don't want the person to really analyze their logic to realize there is none, so they attack people and say "you don't have the right you [insert insult]!" Or else people are hyper sensitive and say "I should have the right," or "I have the right to say this!" It's generally in heated, emotional arguments that I see "rights" thrown around. But as far as basic rights, do we know what they are? It seems like they're so clear to some people but not to others. Like the issue of gay marriage. How do we know what rights are innate if people are argueing about them? Like the people who are against gay marriage, I understand it's because of their religious views and I can try to understand that but my own beliefs say that church and state should be two separate things. Marriage is a legal transaction to the state, and a religious ceremony in the church. But basically people who are against it are against equality or just can not see outside of their indoctrinated beliefs.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum